Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Of Hummers and Hybrids

America is an amazing place.

In what other country can you find strong markets for both

The Hummer

AND hybrids?



I did some research tonight, and I found out the following information:

MPG:
Hummer Turbo (diesel) – 14.2/10.5
Hummer Non-Turbo (diesel) – 13.2/10.0
Hummer Gas – 6.8/3.8

Toyota Camry hybrid – 40.0/38.0

What's wrong with this picture??? How do we justify the need for two such extremes? The obvious choice for any sane person is the hybrid. Better gas mileage, better for the environment, attractive without shoving its presence in your face, and fits into more parking spots.

Hummers are showmobiles. They serve no purpose other than to scream, "I'M SO FUCKING INSECURE THAT I NEED THIS BIG ASS VEHICLE TO PROVE JUST HOW FUCKING COOL I WISH I WERE! Oh, and I have an assload of money, too. Just gassing this Big Dog up every week costs more than you grossed last year, and the insurance? Fuggetaboutit. And the price of the new annex we had to add just to house the damn thing? You don't even want to know! (but I'll "discretely" let it slip after I've had a few drinks to use as an excuse)."

And who the fuck needs a HUMMER LIMO???


I can imagine the fun now. The 20 mile trip to the prom will come with three gas station stops. The groom will be late to the wedding because there was traffic on the highway and the limo couldn't squeeze past the other cars to get off at the next exit. Babies will be born in them. People will die in them. And don't think the good people at Hummer are unaware of this. They have crafted a partnership with the American Red Cross. Even if you are not a religious person you will recognize that such a union had to be forged in Hell.

Ranting aside, the Hummer/hybrid comparison was actually intended to be a metaphor for my own life right now. On one hand, I live a very comfortable lifestyle playing with pretty pictures all day. Sometimes the hours are long and the interactions arduous, but for the most part, I make a lot of money for a bullshit job I can do in my sleep. I get to wear jeans and sneakers to work. I like most of the people I work with. I really like some of the people I work with. On the days I feel like being quiet, no one gives me grief. On the days I feel like being boisterous, there is always someone who will be boisterous right along with me. I can hang with people who want to discuss philosophy, race relations, world politics and/or cartoons. When I have to work late, I get to demand to be fed and sent home via car service. All in all, it's a pretty good gig. The subject matter bores the snot out of me, but what are you going to do?

On the other hand, I make nowhere near what, as a total marketable asset, I am worth. I hate even telling people that I'm a tax attorney because the first question 99% of them ask is "Then why are you doing graphics?" or "Why aren't you practicing?" The answer is both simple and complex, and most of the time I'm not even interested enough in the person to give a real explanation. At this point I've distilled it down to "been away from tax too long working on advanced degree at NYU will be returning to the law when I graduate".

This is entirely true. It does not, however, add the reality of my hopes and dreams and fears. It doesn't address my insecurities at not being as good as I once was. It doesn't address my fear that I will end up trapped in a field that it turns out I really don't like. It doesn't address my hopes that once I return to my chosen career that some of the issues that weigh heavy on my mind will at least ease, if not dissipate altogether. It definitely doesn't address the annoyance I will feel once I get a high-heels and pantyhose job and people start in with the commentary..."Oh, I'm SO glad you became a lawyer again. I didn't want to say anything before, but I thought a lot less of you when you were wasting your talent and education playing with pretty pictures!" and "Well, now that you're practicing, you can pick up the tab because you're making all that lawyer money. And can I borrow a few bucks? I know you're loaded."

After all, everyone knows that lawyers are rich. All of them. Every single last attorney on the face of the Earth is rich.

And they all drive Hummers to prove it.

I just want to be happy. If I can be happy driving a hybrid, why do I HAVE to drive a Hummer? Why do I let the voices of people who I'm not sleeping with and who are not paying my bills get inside my head and make me question who I am? Does it really make me less of a person because I’m not pulling down a quarter of a million annually? Does it matter that I didn’t become a partner at some overpriced firm by the time I turned 35? Does it matter that I don’t have a husband or children OR a career?

No, of course it doesn’t. In a hundred years we’ll all be dead and NONE OF THIS WILL MATTER.


But it isn’t a hundred years from now. It’s now. And I feel inadequate, even though I have nothing to be ashamed of. By no stretch of the imagination am I an angel, but I try very hard to be a decent human being. I go out of my way to be thoughtful and considerate. I spend a good deal of time trying to see things from different perspectives. I try not to be seriously judgmental (riffing on people walking by on the street that I don’t know and will never see again doesn’t count). I am the best friend possible to those I care for, and I avoid people who I don’t vibe with. I think drama for the sake of drama is overrated. I’m kind to small children and animals. I call my mother. I pay my own way. I love to learn. I laugh, I cry and I console.

So why am I agonizing over things that shouldn’t matter? Is it because I was raised in a culture that defines itself by Hummers as much as it does by hybrids? I always viewed myself as an independent thinker. I always thought all this materiality and love of the Almighty Dollar was bullshit. I thought that right up until I woke up one day and I wasn’t 29 anymore. Or 30. Or 35. All that time I’d always had stretching out in front of me was suddenly halfway gone. The road behind me is starting to get longer than the road ahead. The insane college buds who made an art form out of drinking too much are now licensed professionals with children and gigantic mortgages. The chronically undateable are getting married. The chronically unhireable are running successful businesses. The chronically useless now have Blackberrys and personal assistants and “can’t talk now – places to be!”

But we’ll get together soon, pal. You know we’ll have a good time then.

I’m no longer the youngest person in the room. I’m constantly proffering valuable and meaningful advice to kids who weren’t even born when I graduated from high school.

Somefuckingwhere along the line I got older. But I never intended to grow up. And I guess maybe I was successful in that regard. Maybe too successful. I still feel like I have all the time in the world to figure out what I want to do, where I want to be, what will help me to help myself find the happiness I so desperately crave. But I don’t have all that time anymore. I got distracted by something shiny and by the time I turned around, I’d misplaced five years of my life. (I really have to stop getting distracted by shiny things.)

I was remotely hopeful that I might glean some new insight or have a great epiphany by writing all this out instead of just doing the mental gymnastics in my head (by remote I mean “Michael Jordan COULD walk down the street, see me and fall desperately in love!” Feel free to substitute David P. for I like Mike, if you prefer…the likelihood is roughly equal.), but alas and alack, no such good fortune has chosen to rain down upon me tonight.

Nonetheless, I feel somewhat less encumbered. And I thank you, dear readers, for allowing me to unburden my troubles with you. As they say, “Happiness shared is happiness doubled…misery shared is misery halved.”

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Marcheline said...

Makes me wonder if the bush people in the jungles of third world countries spend their days angry at us because one of our pairs of designer sneakers costs more than they'll ever have in their lifetimes.

Probably not.

I happen to really like Humvees. Not because they are expensive, but just because I like the way they look. Maybe some people who drive them do so because they like them, and they can afford to, and so they do.

Just maybe.

I will probably never be able to afford one, but I can still appreciate them. Having a wide range of choices is part of what makes America great.

I don't think that spending money on a nice vehicle is any worse than spending money on any other pleasure purchase. How many lattes, how many manicures, how many shoes or handbags or sunglasses, how many "unnecessary" items do Americans buy every day?

Add that all up, and you could buy a Hummer.

Thing is, there will always be people richer than I am. There will always be people poorer than I am. This is how the world is. To waste any time being angry about that is... well, a waste.

- M

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Marcheline said...

Wow- I was so distracted by the first part of your post that I completely missed the second half...

Yes, life does fly by when you're not looking. AbsoLUTEly. I just turned 40 in December, and I am having to learn to stop thinking about my life as an entire thing (as in, it's half over), but rather each day as its own entire thing. It's too depressing otherwise.

It does make me feel better to know that other people go through the same sort of mental self-torture.

You're also completely right about the whole "in a hundred years this won't matter at all" thing.

If more people understood that, we'd all get along so much better!

- M

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger CTK said...

Leave it to your kid brudder to come up with a feel-good program to turn that frown upside down. I should get a gig on Oprah or something.

STEP 1
------
Stop comparing yourself with others.
There will always be some people who have more than you and some who have less.
You are unique and your purpose is to express your uniqueness. Who can do that better than you?

STEP 2
------
Stop diminishing yourself with negative judgments.
You can't develop high self-esteem if you repeat negative phrases about yourself and your abilities.

STEP 3
------
Avoid perfectionism.
Perfectionism paralyzes you and keeps you from accomplishing your goals.

STEP 4
------
Surround yourself with positive, supportive people.
When you are surrounded by negative people who constantly put you down, your self-esteem is diminished.

STEP 5
------
Acknowledge yourself.
Get yourself a beautiful booklet, and write in it every night, before going to sleep, 20 things you did well during the day. Big or small, doesn't matter, as long as you allow yourself to feel acknowledged.

STEP 6
------
Give more of yourself to those around you.
When you do things for others, you are making a positive contribution and subsequently begin to feel more valuable, which, in turn, lifts your spirits and raises your own self-esteem.

STEP 7
------
Get involved in the work and activities that inspire you.
It's hard to feel good about yourself if your days are spent in work you detest.
Even if you cannot leave your present work situation immediately, you can still devote leisure time to hobbies and activities, which you find stimulating and enjoyable.

STEP 8
------
Be true to yourself.
Live your own life - not the life others have decided is best for you.
If you're making decisions based on getting approval from friends and relatives, you aren't being true to yourself and your self-esteem will suffer as a direct consequence.

STEP 9
------
Solve problems.
Don't avoid problems, and don't complain about them.
Treat them as challenges and opportunities for growth.

STEP 10
-------
Respect your own needs.
Recognize and take care of your own needs and wants first.
Identify what really fulfils you - not just immediate gratifications.
Respecting your deeper needs will increase your sense of worth and well-being.

STEP 11
-------
Free yourself from "shoulds".
Live your life on the basis of what is possible for you and what feels right to you instead of what you or others think you "should" do.
Discover what you want and what you are good at and take actions designed to fulfil your potential.

And the most important of them all,

STEP 12
-------
Take action!
You won't develop high self-esteem if you sit on the sidelines and avoid challenges.
When you take action - regardless of the result - you feel better about yourself.
When you fail to move forward because of fear and anxiety, you create frustration and dissatisfaction within yourself.


The 'real you' is a magnificent, unique being with enormous potential and capacity for experiencing self-love and extending that love to others.
As your self-esteem grows, this 'real you' emerges.
You begin to take more risks without the fear of failure.
You are no longer preoccupied with obtaining the approval of others; your relationships are much more rewarding; you pursue activities that bring you both joy and satisfaction; and you will make a positive contribution to the world.

Most importantly, high self-esteem brings you peace of mind.
When you're alone - you truly appreciate the person you're with - yourself.

C'mere, you....gimme a hug!

In all seriousness, that was a very good rant. I couldn't agree more about wondering where the hell the time goes, and how frightening that can be. I also concur regarding Hummers.

As for your career thing, don't mess with happiness, or at least don't mess with a relatively good gig. The legal profession is chock full of people looking for a way out. And don't overlook the fact that lawyers suck. If you've got your head above water financially and have a life you more or less enjoy, I wouldn't trade that in for something you feel you "should" do. If you're pursuing a dream, that's one thing. But unless you've been lying to me for all these years, tax law doesn't sound like the land of sugarplums for you.

Just my $.02.

And I don't know why I posted this here rather than via email. I'm kind of strange like that.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger SuperMilkChan said...

Kid Brudder, you are PROHIBITED from reading any more Anthony Robbins brochures!!!

Kidding aside, thanks for the pep talk. You know it always means a lot to me to get a 'couraging word from ya!

xoxoxo, Me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home