Friday, February 02, 2007

Will the real SuperMilkChan PLEASE STAND UP?

Guess who's back!
Back again!
MilkChan's back!
Tell a friend!
Guess who's back!
Guess who's back!
Guess who's back!
Guess who's back!
Guess who's back!
Guess who's back!
Guess who's back!
Nah nah nah!

Hey Kats and Kittens! It's been a long time since I left you (without a def beat to step to!) But I have crawled out from under six staggering weeks of overtime at work and am getting back to re-establishing a normal routine. It's going to be a little odd not being in the office at 2 AM or on weekends, but I'm going to try very, very hard to get over it.



There's so much to catch up on...I hardly know where to begin! Lessee...my b-day party on December 9th was both successful AND a blast. Invitation text below:

Into each life a birthday must fall.

Join me to celebrate mine at Flute Midtown Champagne Lounge from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM on Friday, December 8, 2006. (Flute is on 54th Street between 7th Avenue and Broadway. Subway directions can be found on the site)

There will be wine and song and yummy hors d'oeuvres, cake and chocolate truffles and many toasts to the birthday girl. This will be THE event of the season and is not to be missed!
PLEASE RSVP BY TUESDAY, DECEMBER 5TH, 2006 and indicate whether you will be bringing someone along!

(And should you think I'm too modest to accept presents, think again.)
mille baisers, SMC

[If you're into visuals, click here.]

A fabulous party with the perfect mix of people, food, drink and conversation. Made better by the (insane) generosity of my friend, Doug, who made me a present of two bottles of Cristal. It apparently impressed the little wait-chick who, wide-eyed, asked me if I wanted to keep the empty bottles, "They're so pretty!" To placate her, I gave her a pasted-on smile and said yes, that would be lovely just put them on that table over there. Good thing I really didn't want them, as one of the other waitstaffers deleted them from the picture.

Between me, Doug and my crew, we easily blew $2,500. Seeing as how it was only a 90-minute party, I would think that would have at least garnered a follow-up e-mail from Dacotah, Flute's party planner. Personally, if I were her, I would want me to be a repeat customer. And I damn sure would take five minutes out of my day to e-mail, call or (better yet) mail out a personal note with my business card inside.

But that's why no one will ever put me in charge of anything. Because I know how to actually do sh*t right.

I'm still having difficulty saying the age thing, but the truth has slowly been leaking out here and there. I figure that just before my next birthday I will be able to say it out loud to anyone.



School started the first week of January, and I was looking forward to a cakewalk semester. "Tax Aspects of Charitable Giving" and "Estate Planning" (which I am retaking because the letter "C" and I don't get along well). Charitable Giving...that's gonna be what? Some white-haired professor wistfully noting the benefits of philanthropy, right?

WRONGWRONGWRONG.

My Charitable Giving professor is probably in her late 40's, a full-time professor (as opposed to most of my other profs who are full-time hot shot law firm partners and part-time educators), and not only talks more quickly than any human being should be allowed to, but has the nerve to MUMBLE on occasion! Even better, she REQUIRES class participation (which means I actually have to be prepared for class) and she PROHIBITS recording the class. So I have this incredibly complex and archaic system of Code and Reg sections relating to charitable donations being spouted at me by a woman who speaks too quickly for me to take notes but will not allow herself to be taped.

Ordinarily, I am a respecter of other people's requests, but if I don't want to flunk this class, I think I'm going to have to go 007 and hide my digital recorder in the wrapper of a Snickers bar. If I get busted, I'm sure I will get thrown out of the class. I may even get thrown out of school. But what are my other options??? Any words of wisdom you might have to offer are more than welcome. Please share.

Estate Planning, on the other hand, I get to tape and use my notes from the last time I took it. Although it had no pre-requisites, I'm finding I understand a lot of topics better by virtue of having taken the classes I have since the first go-round. I not only KNOW what DNI is, but I know how to calculate it. I know about the taxation of trusts and how to determine if they are outright gifts, contingent gifts, terminable interest property, blah blah blah. It's kind of neat to realize that you actually understand what's happening as opposed to thinking you understand. I totally better get an A this time.



New Year's Eve was interesting. Neither fabulous nor a flop. I joined one of my kid sisters at her apartment where she was entertaining about a dozen of her friends from Boston. They were all pretty cool, but I was feeling somewhat lonely, being date-less yet again on NYE. Being alone and meeting a dozen people at once who have all been close friends for years on the Ultimate Date Night is a little disconcerting. While I did absolutely fall in love with Jessica, her sister, Emily, and her gf, Kristen, it still wasn't the same. And since I'm far too civilized to get drunk on champagne, I spent a lot of time wondering if David P. had really dared to do the crowd in Times Square as he told me he planned to, and how different my night would be if he'd had the good sense to either take me up on my invitation to join my sister's party or invite me to share his dementia in the Square. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER would I ever do Times Square on NYE...unless someone super-hot invited me. Hear that David? Someone uber-hot!!! When will you finally get it through your thick head that THIS MEANS YOU???!!!

I did, however, get a modicum of enjoyment from the shoes I was wearing...I co-opted them from a cousin at Christmas...they're clear strappy sandals with those cool flashing lights (like the kids have on their sneakers) in the heel. Every time I took a step, I sparkled. I am exceedingly fond of anything that shimmers, sparkles, flashes or glitters. If you ever want my attention, wave a piece of sequined material at me. If you ever want my undying devotion, put glitter on my gift. Hell, make a few containers OF glitter my gift!

SuperMilkChan's Personal Belief #1: The world doesn't have enough glitz. Put more glitter on it.



There are one or two other amusing anecdotes that transpired during the past two month hiatus I've taken, but I shall have to reserve them for my next post. I'm determined to enjoy what's left of Day Two of my two days off because I've worked an insane number of hours for the past month and a half, and there is a "John Doe" mini-marathon on SciFi and several weeks' worth of the new seasons of "Prison Break" (starring the same guy who plays John Doe) and "24" sitting around in digital form just waiting to be viewed.

I'm going to go get me a big ole' bowl of Banana Nut Crunch mixed with Raisin, Pecan and Walnut Great Grains and settle down to be a couch potato for a few hours.

Ah...it's good to have my old life back...

2 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Marcheline said...

Hey you!!!

Welcome back! Damn, that was some catching up post, eh?

I checked out your pictures - that looks like some party you had there.

Who is that really cute guy with the great smile that was with (you?) in the very last picture (27 of 27).

I'm betting that's David. Am I right?

Welcome back, in any case - and good luck with your classes! It's been years since I was in school, and I know that feeling of excitement mixed with dread.

Cheers! And Happy Belated Birthday!

- M

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger SuperMilkChan said...

Ha! I WISH it had been the infamous David P! Nope, that's the damn-near-equally-infamous Kitten with me. His infamy at being the only man who has been able to outlast my interest in the chase being what is garnering my Grinch-like smile.

Thanks for your well-wishes, fellow Sag! I'm sure the ensuing months will be full of interesting stories from both of us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home