Friday, December 09, 2005

Punk Poseurs

Saw the saddest, most amusing thing Wednesday night.

I'm hanging around the West 4th Street subway station waiting for the C or E train to show up, and this couple walks by me (actually, they walked directly in front of me...a bad move had I shifted position, as they would have found themselves on the train tracks). They stop about two feet from me, allowing me close inspection of their ensembles.

I've seen enough British punk rockers (and punk rocker wannabes) to know what they are supposed to look like:

This guy had the skinny pants and the funky boots and the studded leather jacket - haristyle was totally lame...didn't even stick up the way the J. Crew set wears BedHead with their cute little obnoxious spikes - but the coup de grace was this:

I actually had to Photoshop (yes, Photoshop is officially a verb) the studs onto the fanny pack because never before nor since have I EVER seen a studded fanny pack. Nor would I ever expect to...especially on a guy who wants to pretend he's a Brit Punker.

The fanny pack was so fascinating that the girlfriend paled in comparison and I don't even remember what she was wearing except I was certain that she could have tried a little harder.

While searching for pix of real punks, I came across this which is adorable and disturbing at the same time, so I need to share:


Call me old-fashioned, but I can't think of any occasion that would compel me to shave half my child's head and dye the rest of it with red Kool-Aid.

1 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Marcheline said...

I disagree. I think the ONLY reason to have a child would be so that you can dress him funny and do things to his hair, then take pictures to threaten showing to his girlfriend when he's 16...

You can tell I never had/will have kids, eh? 8-)

- M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home