Monday, February 25, 2008

Can I call 'em or can I call 'em?

Best Picture: No Country for Old Men (if I'd pinned myself down to a winner, this is the one I would have chosen...it was really too high flown not to have garnered the title).

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (There will be Blood). Told you he owned that role.

Ordinarily, I would be far more pleased with myself about making correct picks of stuff, but honestly, it's frightening the lack of intelligence one really needs to have to get into the heads of HollywoodLanders.


But interestingly enough, JUNO won for Best Original Screenplay...I say interestingly because during the movie, Juno explains that she is not named for the town in Alaska, but rather after ZEUS' WIFE JUNO.


'kay, I was a liberal arts major. I was REQUIRED to know Greek mythology like my life depended upon it. Right after these words were uttered, I leaned over to Billie and whispered, "ummm...wasn't Hera Zeus' wife?" This was a completely rhetorical question as I already knew the answer. I knew that Juno was actually Hera's Roman counterpart. What I couldn't remember was the name of Zeus' Roman counterpart. Embarrassingly enough, turns out that it happens to be Jupiter. This is embarrassing because, although I'm not live-my-life-by-the-stars Girl, I do happen to be familiar with the fact that Jupiter is my ruling planet.

All that notwithstanding, I don't see how ANYONE could make such a stupid mistake - ESPECIALLY when it relates DIRECTLY to the MAIN CHARACTER! And to top it off, they go and award it Best Screenplay!!! Can you DO that if a major fact in the storyline is GROSSLY erroneous???


Apparently you can in HollywoodLand - it's all good in the hood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home