Monday, April 17, 2006

You learn so many new things while hanging out at the gym

I am a big fan of the elliptical machine for my cardio workout. I recently joined a new gym, and instead of just listening to music on my Classic Sony Discman (no, I don't own an iPod, and I never intend to intentionally do so), I have the added benefit of watching four channels of cable TV at the same time. Usually I watch "Law & Order" or one of those court shows that prove that people don't care how ridiculous they appear to the world so long as there is a camera catching every moment.

But on Friday, my TV watching went to a whole new level.

For those of you who are sporting enthusiasts, you know that ESPN2 is where you can find the off-beat sports that you won't see on ESPN, CBS, ABC, NBC or any other channel. Things like X-treme Cross-Country Crocodile Rodeo and X-treme Beach Cave Climbing and X-treme...well, anything that can have the moniker "X-treme" slapped in front of it is on ESPN2. But this...this was different. This was a whole new level of the term "sporting event":

Sport Juggling.

(Not X-treme Sport Juggling, but give it time.)

"Sport Juggling" is the brainchild of Jason Garfield, founder and president of The World Federation of Juggling. He apparently disagrees strongly with the belief that juggling is something only performed by clowns or other circus acts (even though we all know that it is.)


Q: Are you in the circus?

A: Unless you've asked me this question while I am inside of a circus, the answer is no. If you mean, "do I work in the circus", the answer is still no. I do not like circuses. People confuse juggling with the circus however my juggling will be on the moon before it is ever in the circus.

(FAQ: JasonGarfield.com)


Admittedly it was fascinating to watch (for brief periods), and I might even go out and buy "Juggling for Klutzes", but under no circumstances whatsoever can this legitimately be called a "sport." I will concede that skateboarding and beach volleyball are sports (even though I'm still stunned that people can actually get paid money to play them), but JUGGLING??? C'mon, Jason...get a grip! (hahahahahaha)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home